Farmer dies after eating poisonous puffer fish in Southern Leyte

A 39-year-old farmer from Hinunangan, Southern Leyter died after being poisoned with a puffer fish which he ate last Wednesday (March 31).

The authorities identified the victim as Dario Bacus, a farmer in Barangay Union.

Based on the investigation of Hinunangan Municipal Police Station,  Bacus went home on Tuesday, at around 7 pm, bringing a kilo of puffer fish which he cooked and ate.

He cooked the fish again after he woke up the next day at around 4 am in the morning.

According to the authorities, the examination of Bacus' body reveals that he died because of food poisoning and no foul play is involved.

Pufferfish is a kind of fish that contains tetrodotoxin, a substance that is 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide.

One pufferfish has enough tetrodotoxin to kill 30 adult humans. Unfortunately, there is no known antidote or cure once the toxin was ingested by eating the fish.

Source: Abs-Cbn News

No comments:

Post a Comment